The Brill Building was named after the Brill Brothers, whose clothing store was located in the street level corner.
In 1931, the owners were forced to rent space to music publishers.
By 1962 the Brill Building contained 165 music businesses.
Musicians could write a song, then could go to another floor and book an hour at a demo studio, hire some of the musicians that hung around, and finally cut a demo. Then, they could take the song around the building to the record companies, publishers and managers.
The Brill Building was the doorway to stardom for every artist in the New York music scene.